How to get the best of multi player experience

Server Search - not working properly

Postby vaclav.mazany » 2012-09-01 22:27

vaclav.mazany
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Server Search - not working properly

Postby Romeo Ordos » 2012-09-03 17:00

Is firewall enabled on C2 and C3? If so than try to disable it and make search again.
Romeo Ordos
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby vaclav.mazany » 2012-09-03 17:46

Firewall is turned ON on all of them, but I'll try to turn it off for a test.
But I CAN connect to them , when I type in their IP address directly.
But I'll try turning firewall off anyway.... it would be great :) if it would be just this...
vaclav.mazany
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby sajjad123 » 2014-12-09 07:05

What about platforms that do not support plugins, e.g. Marmalade, web, etc? The strength of Shiva3D is the support of the majority of mobile platforms where the plugins mostly dont work - if we are talking about platforms that support plugins, we might as well start looking at Unity which does not require extra work for raw sockets even in FREE edition. Shiva3D's support of so many platforms is very attractive, but the lack of native support for raw sockets severely limits Shiva's application in game development.
aliiiii
sajjad123
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby broozar » 2014-12-09 16:47

hi sajjad123,

- web supports native plugins. they have to be signed though, otherwise the browser will block them.
- to just send messages around, we have the xml API to send/receive small bits of information. yes, it's no socket, but useful for most cases.
- whether or not raw socket access is crucial to game development is debatable, one could argue that Unity Free's lack of dynamic shadows is much more limiting...
- the original question was geared towards ShiVa's built-in networking. raw socket access would circumvent the built-in system and undo most of the convenient programming shortcuts that are built into ShiVa multiplayer. seems a little drastic just because servers are not found sometimes (which could have many causes, like firewall settings), but work just fine when you specify the IP address, which shows that the system does indeed work in general.

besides, this topic is over 2 years old. if you have a specific problem with the current engine, don't be afraid to open a new one. a lot has changed since 2012.
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dtr1au » 2014-12-10 01:14

Hi sajjad123,

What broozar said. If you've a specific problem then flick a new thread. I've never had problems with searching for Shiva servers. My only "issue" with it is how log it took to search. That said I've not used it since probably 1.9's initial release.

Raw sockets would be nice if it was native, (but like broozar said, raw vs standard sockets is a moot point I think), but there is nothing stopping you putting a plugin together yourself. I did a little UDP plugin a while ago, with very little c++ and network programming knowledge. You know how long it took me, about 4-6 hours to have a PC plugin setup and being able to send messages between server and client. So it should be simple enough for anyone to implement what they need.

I wish you luck with your project.
dtr1au
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Return to Networking