[elusive issue]object deletion from project, wrong files DEL

Report bugs and issues

[elusive issue]object deletion from project, wrong files DEL

Postby .eb » 2013-03-24 20:42

Hi, if I select many textures or objects @ random, to delete them from an editor module, the editor mostly deletes the wrong things!?!?

Example: I had 30 images
I wanted to delete 22,
I selected the 22, and tried to delete them,
..only it deleted images that were NOT selected!!!

example..MORE:
if I selected images (1,3,6,11,12,13,16,17) of images(1->40), 8 images would be deleted, most would be the wrong image.

#UGH .. #OUCH .. #ermrph

//Edit: maybe this has to do with using the "selection drag box?" rather than selecting each one via its' own click ? IDK, this has me frustrated.. time to fix the brokenisms and get back to work.

//Edit#2: Now the entire project is broken..replacing the images does not fix the problems. Guys, I am seriously concerned here.
Last edited by .eb on 2013-03-24 21:39, edited 2 times in total.
.eb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: this has to be known already.. object deletion from project

Postby broozar » 2013-03-24 21:16

hi,

this sounds like a serious issue, however i just tried deleting random files form a long texture list, and it worked as expected.

please walk me through what you did exactly, so i can reproduce the issue. also, what is a selection drag box? i cannot drag-select in my data explorer...
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Postby .eb » 2013-03-24 21:20

- in your data explorer, set to "thumbnail mode".
(I'm using 1.9.2)
Now, click anywhere that is off of the files and then drag to make your selection box.

go through a texture listing of many textures.. selection some by ctrl+clicks and others by ctrl+dragbox. delete key, enter key.

This has always deleted the wrong files..and I've always avoided doing this, but today it slipped my mind..and I accidentally did this.

Now the project is broken..nothing is fixing the issues I now have, :X
.eb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby .eb » 2013-03-24 21:21

testing more, bb in 5

I've tested this many times..& now it's not doing it..

I have honestly had this happen to me more than 10 times in the past 6 months...and now I can't get this to happen at will.

Shiva deleted 9 textures that were not selected. ..and now the project is failing to call i-loops.
Last edited by .eb on 2013-03-24 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
.eb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 2013-03-24 21:28

oh, you are using the thumbnail view, i always use the detail list, that's why i don't have a selection box.

anyway, i am still not able to reproduce this behaviour. i have selected single files, multiple ones, with and without the selection box, nothing out of the ordinary. i also had ()- in the names, so that's not it.

shoutout: is anyone else having this issue?
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Postby .eb » 2013-03-24 21:29

(edited post above)

Broozar, I will try very hard to get a video of this. ..but not until I fix my project. 8)
.eb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 2013-03-24 21:33

thanks, please do that!
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Postby .eb » 2013-03-24 21:35

1 more update here..

I deleted the project.cfg and restarted the project, the project works again.
How odd that closing and restarting failed..but removing the cfg caused it to"reset" somehow.

<<happy things are back to normal!! :D
.eb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: [elusive issue]object deletion from project, wrong files DEL

Postby 8DashP » 2013-03-25 00:39

Can't say I've had that specific issue, but one thing I did note is that multi-select in the detail window doesn't work as expected when your selection is longer than the window size.

I've been doing some texture selections where I select the first, shift-select the last, way down the bottom of the list, but when I check what the selction has highlighted, it has only selected the number of files that fit into the window. Wthout double checking the selection, I had assumed everything was selected. Now I just know to go back and do my selections in multiple parts, or maximise the window so they all fit.
Russell - http://store.synapticbytes.com - Software Store now open, including ShiVa3D assets
Checkout sbPhysics, the bullet physics plugin, plus the Partifex particle libraries on the store
8DashP
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: [elusive issue]object deletion from project, wrong files DEL

Postby vaclav.mazany » 2013-03-25 13:30

I actually had this issue of deleting something that wasn't selected. Thankfully I have data on dropbox so nothing was lost. I can't give certain repro steps, it seems random.
It happens sometime when I select multiple files with shift click, I guess. And I do so in smaller window, maybe its related ...dunno
vaclav.mazany
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Return to Bugs