Shiva Gaming Console

Linux Desktop Apps

Shiva Gaming Console

Postby dpharaoh » 2013-10-19 05:20

I'm considering putting together a prototype box to be used exclusively for running Shiva games. It's a specialized use, almost akin to a console or an OUYA. All of my Linux experience is on the server side, no desktop experience to draw upon.

So, some questions!
What is a good, stable desktop Linux? I saw some posts about troubles with 64-bit versions. Is a 32-bit Ubuntu Desktop LTS stable for Shiva?
Is there a preferred video card/driver for Shiva Linux? Ie Nvidia over ATI?

I don't want to end up reinventing an OUYA, but I do want to find a minimally viable hardware platform with enough memory and graphic horsepower to get the job done. HDMI output. And inexpensive...

Most of the time the machines will just be remote administered, but they could also be connected to normal monitor/keyboard.

If anyone has some answers to the Linux question, or thoughts about hardware builds/platforms, I'd truly appreciate it. I have an enormous opportunity to create a new app market for us and this piece is important.

Dave
dpharaoh
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Shiva Gaming Console

Postby lcocea » 2013-10-19 07:31

Look at Steam on Linux. They support mainly Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. It requires a Nvidia GPU and I can confirm that Steam games, and more importantly, ShiVa games, run on it as expected (32 bit Ubuntu.)
lcocea
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby DoctorPepper » 2013-10-19 10:41

That is a terrible idea to support shiva only.. not only will you get max 2 users, it just sounds like "an art website that only accepts submissions made in Gimp". Makes no sense
DoctorPepper
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby dpharaoh » 2013-10-19 13:13

I also found these little guys:
http://www.xi3.com

As well as the SteamOS/Steam Machine initiative after posting last night. That's helpful and led me to the xi3 website, as Valve will be using the Piston for one Steam Machine it seems

It's not what you think, Dr Pepper :)
These aren't for generalized home use, they are for a specialized purpose: putting apps and games where there are none yet. Not trying to compete with console devs :) These things need to go into server rooms and generally behind the scenes.

Think: interactive digital signage

And, if it runs Shiva it can run Unity or Flash

Thanks Icocea for the tip!
dpharaoh
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Return to Linux