Slack chat? Skype chat? A chat about Slack.

backlogs, history and solutions

Slack chat? Skype chat? A chat about Slack.

Postby .eb » 2016-06-10 00:06

You can skip this part, it's just about my reason for making this thread..
[[Hi, I've been unable to sign into Skype and their support teams are not very good. AKA: my login troubles may not be fixed anytime soon..and using cell-data for skype works.. but in all honesty, reading skype on my phone is rather a 1st world problem of annoyance. ]]
---
Which brings me to asking you guys and gals for how you feel about Slack replacing Skype at some point, for the Shiva Group Chat.
- This past year, many of us have noticed that Skype has more and more issues.. Perhaps Slack is something we should think about migrating to ?
[Slack supports win/mac/linux/ios/android/winPhone..as well as browser.]

Juan B. and Dave Y. have mentioned they use Slack for work and enjoy it.

I have setup a test channel for Slack chat in case you want to give Slack a try...
email me for invite by email. eb7898 [ at ] outL00k.c0m
shiva3dchat.slack.com is the login URL.

Anyhow.. I know that I have not been able to use Skype on my systems for a month and that is not a reason for us to switch.

.. but perhaps Slack is the better choice for us in 2016 ?
.eb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Slack chat? Skype chat? A chat about Slack.

Postby broozar » 2016-06-10 18:20

doesn't the recent skype issue rather teaches us that you cannot rely on a single 3rd party to provide your services? Skype is very comfortable, many people already have the client, and it was convenient to use for all the features it provides, esp. the message logging/offline recording.

IMO if we ever moved away from skype, it would have to be a service running on our own server, something based on irc or xmpp or the like. then again, if we are doing server maintenance, you would not be able to chat, and we would not be able to communicate with you about the server outage except through twitter and facebook.

Let's not forget that Slack is a commercial entity with a goal to sells subscriptions, which frankly makes me think twice before moving the chat over.
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Postby .eb » 2016-06-10 21:01

I totally get that and agree after some thought..just been frustrated with Skype.
I would have deleted the thread .. perhaps you will ? ttyl
.eb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 2016-06-10 21:44

nah, let's give it a shot. i'll log into slack and try it before i'll bash it :)
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Skype and IRC