Experiences developing with Linux

Linux Desktop Apps

Experiences developing with Linux

Postby neilb » 2010-05-18 09:52

I thought I'd post my experience so far with Shiva developing on an Ubuntu 10.04 64bit machine.

I've created a demo which I've posted to my blog using the web player. Unfortunately, I can't view it because all my machines are Linux 64bit, so I've also built an installer until the release of 1.9 which I'll upload shortly.

Check out the demo from here

The IDE runs quite well in WinXP under Virtual Box with Guest Additions installed, which activates accelerated OpenGL. I only had minor issues here, mainly with the preview window suddenly filling with garbage every few hours and the preview window not refreshing automatically, both of which I believe are related to Virtual Box, not Shiva. Restarting the Shiva IDE fixed the garbage problem.

Performance-wise, the IDE runs fast enough that only complex scenes are hindered by the virtualisation. Having said that, I can't wait for the Linux native 2.0.

I designed my models in Blender under Linux, which posed some well-documented and serious problems when it came time to transfer the models into Shiva in the Collada DAE format. I tried everything, excluding purchasing expensive commercial software and eventually, I found that the best way to work was to model in Blender 1.49, then open the .blend file in a beta of Blender 1.52 inside the WinXP virtual machine. From this, I was then able to export a DAE file which Shiva could read, though the models had to be modified specifically for Shiva to suit it's limitations.

I downloaded the beta from , and only the Windows binaries ones work properly when exporting Collada at the moment - it is a beta afterall. I found that if I exported a file and then tried to reimport it into Blender 1.52, then if it looked OK, it would also work in Shiva.

The model limitations included doing the following prior to export:
Simplifying the parts as much as possible
putting the parent object centre at the origin (0, 0, 0)
Applying effects such as subsurf, mirroring, etc.
Applying scale and rotation with Ctrl+A

I also did some tests using bones, and having created a simple model with an animation, I was able to get it into Shiva with the bones, textures and materials intact. I only looked at this briefly, but it seemed to only work if only one object was parented to an armature and both the object and the armature were placed at the origin.

Finally, once I had my demo compiled and transferred to my Linux desktop, it ran fine, except for the scroll wheel not working, which isn't a deal breaker for me. I also can't test the web player since I'm on 64bit Linux, so if anyone tries it out on another platform, let me know if it works!

PS. Yes, the lens flare was lifted from the sample, with some minor tweaks, like reducing the size of all the flare textures to 256x256.
PPS. I used the Shiva Joomla plugin for my blog.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Experiences developing with Linux

Postby atalargo » 2010-05-18 12:19

Hi the demo don't launch because the url http://blog.burlock.org/component/content/article/files/shiva/scout-20100518.stk return a 404 error
atalargo
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby neilb » 2010-05-18 12:41

@atalargo, thanks for letting me know.

That's what happens when you can't test on your own system! :lol:

Should be OK now... hopefully

Actually, I hadn't though of it before, but I just tried it from a browser in the virtual machine and it worked! So yes, fixed :)
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby atalargo » 2010-05-18 12:51

ok this works now !
just one pb : mouse wheel don't zoom :)

Great sky and lens effect :)
atalargo
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby neilb » 2010-05-18 13:05

neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby atalargo » 2010-05-18 15:19

ah ah sorry, it's not my purpose. I didn't want to devaluate your works really! Your ship is great (in low polly so yes a few cubic :P) but now it's great.

(and for information, i can't make a 3D model like this, so i don't want to judge it :) )

And thnaks for link and tips about flare.
atalargo
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby broozar » 2010-05-19 16:55

broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Postby neilb » 2010-05-20 01:12

I forgot to mention I'm running an nVidia card with the binary blob drivers. Apologies to Linux users with graphics troubles, but it was so easy to get going I actually screwed it up the first time. I installed the Guest Additions, enabled the DirectX flag and also installed Wine into the VM thinking that it was all necessary, but it actually broke OpenGL support. This couldn't be undone, so I ended up having to reinstall my virtual machine from scratch, at which point I discovered that all that was needed was Guest Additions.

And I also meant 2.52 beta.

I still need to play around with the bones export to see if I got lucky, or if it is reliable. I only did a quick test once I'd found that 2.52 was able to export static objects successfully. I also tried exporting a reasonably simple model (which I'd created previously) that was made up of a number of objects parented to one armature, but the result was not pretty.

I'm running 64bit Firefox, which is default with 64bit Ubuntu.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby neilb » 2010-06-09 16:03

I've looked into the new Blender Collada exporter but it's got a few fatal flaws: the movements are inverted at the joint and the animation runs backwards.

Next, I tried the Blender->FBX->DAE (Autodesk converter) method. No luck there either, but I've only spent a few hours on it so far. The mesh just stretches and twists at the joints instead of rotating...

Animated meshes are starting to turn into a real PITA :(
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby r10k » 2010-06-09 17:07

A nice bumpmap would look good on that ship :)
r10k
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Next

Return to Linux