How to build application or game to run on linux target?

Linux Desktop Apps

How to build application or game to run on linux target?

Postby anitha » 2011-11-28 07:33

Am a beginner and have tried few examples on shiVa editor and executed the same on linux through authoring tool.
Am looking for shiVa 3D application or game to be run on linux target.
Is the support available already or not?
If available, please do let me the procedure to do that

Thanks in Advance
anitha
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: How to build application or game to run on linux target?

Postby neilb » 2011-11-30 14:24

You can generally run the STK file exported from Shiva on Linux without any changes, if you've already got the S3DEngine installed.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby anitha » 2011-12-01 09:09

Thanks for the reply.
I want to run the ShiVa application or game on linux target device.
If execution is possible on linux device, i would like to know the procedure for that.

Is this S3D Engine is free to download or its available only for paid users?
Please clarify.
anitha
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby neilb » 2011-12-01 09:24

I'm pretty sure there's no license to use the S3DEngine if you are using it with a Shiva app, since there's no other way to run an app without it. I think there's a watermark on the STK's produced by Shiva unless you pay for a developers license of some kind though.

You can download the S3DEngine from here

It's under Shiva3D Players --> Standalone --> Linux 3MB.

The actual file URL (which might change in the future) is

You have to run it from the command line and you'll need sudo credentials to install it in a location that allows it to be executed as a command.

After that, all you need to do is double click an STK file and it should find the player and start it automatically. At least it did on my system when I tried it.

If you wanted to bundle it with an app, you could probably write your own installer that doesn't need sudo and just put it in the same folder as the app. I'm not sure, but the UAT Linux target might do this. I've never tried it.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby anitha » 2011-12-02 13:20

I have installed the standalone player on linux m/c and tried double clicking the stk file.
Firefox opens and shows installing :0% and after that its not preocessing.

When i try installing the same on linux target device, it says player installed but the application is not executing on the device(Cannot fins associated application)

What could be the issue?
anitha
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby neilb » 2011-12-02 13:55

Maybe you need to make an association to get it to work then? I may have done it in the past at some point which is why double clicking worked for me.

The S3DEngine is installed at /usr/local/bin/S3DEngine, but you should be able to see if it's working by typing "S3DEngine --help" in a terminal window.

To fire off an app manually, cd into the folder with stk file, then type "S3DEngine <filename>.stk". If that's all working then make an association to make it easy for next time.
neilb
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby broozar » 2011-12-02 18:29

- the linux web player is broken atm, opening firefox will do you no good.
- the official installer for the standalone player does not add the binary location to $PATH, at least it never worked for me. the unofficial community installer does that http://www.stonetrip.com/developer/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21711&start=15#p30505 , but it has other shortcomings and will not run everywhere (no fedora for example, no 64 bit distros). so in order to run your stk with the standalone player, open a terminal and run "/the/path/to/shiva/binary yourpack.stk" or do a small script/shortcut for user friendliness.
- you can also just drag and drop your stk over the standalone player binary without installing anything.
broozar
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Linux